CyberMath Academy is now running its first-ever math video submission contest! In your video, you will have the chance to present a unique and creative solution to a math problem that is all your own.
The video contest will have two categories: High Flyers, and Out of this World, which is a little more challenging.
Students may only submit a video in one of the two categories, not both.
At CyberMath, our philosophy is that math isn’t just a series of formulas and ideas; it’s about communicating these ideas in order to inspire and motivate. The video is an opportunity for you to let your creativity truly shine and express your mathematical knowledge by showing us new and original ways to solve problems!
- Entry is free and open to everyone who has not yet graduated from a secondary (high school) institution or equivalent as of April 17, 2022.
- Videos will be judged solely on mathematical content and the presentation thereof: style is irrelevant with the possible exception of breaking ties. Specific judging criteria are: mathematical accuracy (50%), presentation and delivery (30%), and insight and creativity (20%).
- The video must provide a solution to the specified problem — off-topic videos will score zero.
- The video can be any length; the quality of the presentation is emphasized over length.
- Please make sure the video and audio are of reasonable quality, and any handwriting in the video is legible. Otherwise, this may be grounds for point deductions.
- Your submission must be the product of your own mathematical insights and creativity. Although you are allowed to have your parents/friends/teachers/family members help out with polishing the final product, you are not allowed to solicit mathematical assistance. If it is determined you have plagiarized in any substantial capacity, your submission will be disqualified.
- To submit, please email [email protected] with a link to your video, which can be either an upload on your personal YouTube channel, or one of TikTok, Vimeo, Instagram, or Snapchat. The subject line should include your name and “Submission for Spring 2022 Video Contest.”
- The deadline for submissions is Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. We will try to announce the winners sometime in early-mid July 2022.
For the High Flyers category: 10% discount to summer camps for top 20 students, and a $100 gift card for first place, $50 for second place, $25 for third place, and $10 for 4th-10th place
For the Out of this World category: 20% discount to summer camps for top 20 students, and a $200 gift card for first place, $100 for second place, $50 for third place, and $20 for 4th-10th place
Prizes will be emailed to the email account through which you submitted your video.
High Flyers Problem
For his job, Bryce commutes from Cyberville to Mathtown, which usually takes him 25 minutes. He always drives at a constant rate. But one day, there is bad traffic for three-fifths of the total distance of his journey, which slows him down to one-third of his normal rate. How many minutes will it take him to get to Mathtown with the traffic?
Out of this World Problem
In the following diagram, there are four triangles inside a square: a blue one, a red one, a yellow one, and a white one. The blue triangle has area 4, the red triangle has area 3, and the yellow triangle has area 2. What’s the area of the white triangle? (Not to scale.)